Although classed as a saturated fat, coconut oil functions differently in your body to other saturated fats, which are know as long-chain fats. Over half of the fats in coconut oil are medium-chain fatty acids – MCFA (also known as MCT Medium chain Triglycerides) which provide a host of health benefits, including not being stored as fat and being available for energy use.
Coconut Oil Aids Weight Loss
It may not make sense to add fat to your diet to aid weight loss, based on the what we have been taught over the years BUT Coconut oil is a no-carb oil that helps burn fat, calories and decrease appetite. More and more information and studies are surfacing to support the claim that this magnificent oil can play a role in fat loss.
A study conducted on 40 women with abdominal obesity revealed positive effects related to coconut-oil supplementation. After 12 weeks, the women consuming coconut oil daily showed a reduction in waist circumference, as compared to the group who consumed soybean oil.
Dr. Bruce Fife says in his video:
Adding fat into your diet can be the key to your weight loss success. Low-fat dieting actually causes weight gain, and is one of the reasons for our current obesity epidemic. You can lose weight on these diets temporarily, but in the long run you end up gaining all your weight back, and then some.
…Fat also satisfies hunger so that you don’t feel like you are starving. You feel satisfied. In fact, with an adequate amount of fat, you don’t get hungry even when you cut down on total calorie intake. Your metabolism and energy levels remain elevated. You feel a lot better and get better results.”
To watch the video in its entirety, click here.
Coconut Oil Boosts Your Immune System
MCT’s are antiviral and antibacterial, medical studies have discovered that Medium chain Fatty Acids found in coconut oil can kill bacteria, fungi, viruses and parasites that are the cause of many illnesses.
These are just some illnesses MCFA’s combat:
- Hep C
- Toxic Shock Syndrome
- Throat and Sinus infections
- Giardia – parasite infection
- Jock itch
- Gastric Ulcers… the list goes on!
Refer to to the book “Coconut Cures” by Dr Bruce Fife CN,ND if you want to learn more about this.
Coconut Oil Improves Energy and Endurance
The MCFA’s in Coconut oil are sent straight to your liver and converted into ketones that are very quickly released into your bloodstream to be used for energy, they produce a longer sustained energy and increases your metabolism. According to Dr Mercola “MCFA’s can even pass the blood-brain barrier to supply your brain directly with energy. This is one of the reasons coconut oil is thought to have positive effects on those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.”
Coconut Oil and Oral Health
You may have heard of oil pulling, this is an Ayurvedic practice, Ayurveda is one of the world’s oldest holistic health systems.
The practice of oil pulling requires you to swish an oil such as coconut oil around the mouth for 20 minutes before spitting it out (not in the drain) the mouth is home to billions of bacteria, pulling acts as a detoxifier in the mouth.
When done daily the benefits include:
- Brightening & whitening teeth
- Healthier gums
- Removal of mucus
- Boosting the immune system
- Preventing bad breath
- Increasing energy
- Having a clearer mind
- Decreasing headaches
- Clearing the sinuses
- Alleviating allergies
- Better sleep
- More clearer skin
- Decreasing inflammation
How to Oil Pull
I personally practice this ritual on a regular basis, if you want to try it here is how:
- Drink a glass of water
- A tablespoon of coconut oil in the mouth (does not need to be melted – the warmth of our mouth will melt it)
- Swish it around for 20 minutes while you are doing something else like listening to a podcast, housework, writing affirmations etc
- Spit the oil into the garden or rubbish but NOT down the drain, the last thing you want is to block the pipes.
- Your done, just repeat it the next day.
Coconut Oil Prevents Heart Disease and High Blood Pressure
Heart disease, which includes heart attacks, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases, is the leading cause of death in Australia and affects more than 3.7 million Australians.
Although coconut oil is classed as a mostly saturated fat, it is not to blame for the spike in heart disease, on the contrary, coconut oil:
- Increases your HDL cholesterol (thats the “good” one)
- Lowers your risk of heart disease due to the increase in HDL
- Helps convert your LDL cholesterol (the bad one) into good cholesterol – I personally experienced this through adding coconut oil to my diet daily, I drank a cup of of hot water with a tablespoon of coconut oil to start my day
- Promotes heart health
Ways To Use Coconut Oil
- Topically on you skin, your skin will be moisturised and absorb some of the oil
- In your mouth for oil pulling (see above instructions)
- To make raw treats such as chocolate, raw cheesecakes & bliss balls
- Make coconut oil tea, just add 1 tablespoon to hot water
- In your cooking, baking, simply replace other fats with coconut oil
- Boost your smoothie with a tablespoon of oil – Try this Lime Green Coconut Smoothie
The Wrap Up on Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil health benefits are immense both internally and externally, the benefits detailed above just scratch the surface, if you want to learn more Dr Bruce Fife is an expert on all things coconut, check out his books or you tube videos. When purchasing coconut oil opt for the organic unrefined oil.