A simple but heart racing workout to do in your home
You don’t need fancy equipment or an expensive gym membership to work on your fitness training. A High Intensity Interval Training (H.I.I.T) workout is at your fingertips from the comfort of your own home. All you need is a mat and some floor space. H.I.I.T sessions are great because they improve cardiovascular and muscular endurance in a short amount of time.
First, begin by warming up with 30 seconds of jumping jacks, 30 seconds of high knees and 30 seconds of side plank on each side. Repeat the warm-up twice.
Once your warm up is complete, you’re going to move into your H.I.I.T session! Perform each exercise for 45 seconds, back to back. After you’ve completed all 5 exercises in the circuit, rest 30 seconds then repeat the circuit for 4 rounds.
- Squat Jump x 45 seconds
- Skaters x 45 seconds
- Push Ups x 45 seconds
- Military Plank x 45 seconds
- Flutter Kicks x 45 seconds
Rest 30 seconds then Repeat x 4 rounds.
Description of exercises:
Squat Jump –
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Start by doing a regular squat, then engage your core and jump up explosively.
- When you land, lower your body back into the squat position to complete one rep. Land as quietly as possible, which requires control.
- Make sure to use your whole foot to jump, not just your toes, and try not to let your shoulders lean out beyond your knees, as this can strain and injure your back.
- Start with your legs slightly wider than shoulder-distance apart and arms at the sides.
- Bring one leg behind at a slight angle into a reverse lunge. The front knee will come to a 90-degree angle.
- Swing the arms in front of that bent knee and leap the back leg forward to switch sides in a skating motion. Arms alternate as you switch sides like a speed skater.
Push up –
- Get on the floor on all fours, positioning your hands slightly wider than your shoulders.
- Extend your legs back so that you are balanced on your hands and toes. Keep your body in a straight line from head to toe without sagging in the middle or arching your back. You can position your feet to be close together or a bit wider depending on what is most comfortable for you.
- Before you begin any movement, contract your abs and tighten your core by pulling your belly button toward your spine. Keep a tight core throughout the entire pushup.2
- Inhale as you slowly bend your elbows and lower yourself until your elbows are at a 90-degree angle.
- Exhale as you begin contracting your chest muscles and pushing back up through your hands to the start position. Don’t lock out the elbows; keep them slightly bent.
Military Plank – Start in a basic plank position on your forearms, then press up onto your right hand, then your left. You should now be in a full plank. Next, lower back down to a forearm plank, starting with your right side again. Switch the leading arm throughout the exercise for example you could aim to complete 10 repetitions with the RIGHT arm leading the movement, then repeat starting with the LEFT arm leading.
Flutter Kicks –
- Lie on your back with your hands by your sides or place them underneath your glutes.
- Alternate stacking your feet on top of each other (similar to a scissor kick)
- Repeat until the set is complete
While doing this exercise make sure you keep your abs and core engaged at all times and keep your lower back pressed against the floor. Breathe slowly and keep your chin off your chest, your head in a neutral position and your legs straight.
KAYA is a family business; Husband and wife, Christian and Koula Ruggeri, form the leaderships roles with 18 years of combined experience in the health and wellness industry.
This passion for health has helped them to create the space which they offer today – with their intimate understanding of the search for wellbeing, KAYA has become a sanctuary for many like-minded people to escape to.